Saturday, December 24, 2005

Rise and Snooze.

I recently installed 3D Studio Max 8 and wanted to test drive the new version of Mental Ray renderer. It's supposed to produce better quality renders even with a low samples setting (compared to the previous versions), and faster. So I took my Bedroom scene, which I call "Rise and Snooze" just to explain away the young lady's laziness, and tried my rusty rendering skills on it.

For the renderer, I set the settings thus:
-GI: 500 Photons/sample, 100000 Photons/light, Max 2 Reflections, Max 2 Refractions;
-Final Gather: 50 Samples, Max 2 Relections, Max 2 Refractions, Max 1 Bounces;
-Renderer: Mitchell 4x4, Min 1 Samples/pixel, Max 4 Samples/pixel;

(Max. Bounces is new to this version and it controls the maximum number of times a difuse ray is bounced in the scene.)

The angle below took 40 minutes to render. I don't have the figures with 3DS Max 7 to compare this with. Nor can they be compared because of the relatively small number of samples required to acheive the same result in 3DS Max 8.

Click for slightly larger version


The lady is 'Jessi', a biped from Poser6, made to lie in that pose. Making her was easy, importing her to Max was, to say the least, tough. And the bed spread is my first Reactor cloth. Other than these, the room's pretty basic. When I say basic, I mean that it is made of cuboids and cones. I am a simple man.

;;

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice, one advice, incrse the GI Photons count & size to 4000/4 to get a lit room result, it's still dark,

in the interior sceans try to use more GI, FG will simply unify the light, let me show u what i got with my 3D Max 8

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7554/render4ux.jpg

not as good as vray, but i figure d out , that in vray interior sceans people usually use light color walls ,& increseing the photon count to 10000 will bring me to that level too

Anand kumar said...

Hi Saurab,
Thanks for the information. But I deliberately set the photon count and GI reflection low to create a dark-room-with-bright-sunlight effect. Although, I think FG was a bit too small because of those artifacts near the tea pot.