Sunday, July 03, 2011

uTorrent stuck at 10kBps and with high cpu load

Struggled with a weird scenario today where uTorrent was consuming ~13%CPU and download speed appeared to be capped at 10 kBps. After eliminating the possibility of ISP throttling (Glasnost: Test if your ISP is shaping your traffic), a uTorrent bug (by updating to latest beta), Windows/driver bug (just by restarting Windows) and HDD corruption (rechecked HDD cables; ran CHKDSK /R), I was left with only one thing to try.

The torrent file itself. This was a massive torrent around 60GB in size (let's just say it's "Linux ISO images") but I have downloaded much larger files (a larger collection of said "images") so it did not make sense that it could be the culprit. Besides, the torrent had already downloaded a few gigabytes already. It's only when I restarted uTorrent and the program tried to Hash-check that it started exhibiting this strange behavior.
I tried deleting the torrent data and the torrent's PartFile (~uTorrentPartFile_*.dat) to no avail. Finally, I decided to remove the torrent and opened uTorrent. Success!

So the problem's gone now but I don't have the torrent. But it turned out to be OK because I found what I was looking for as separate torrents.

Epilogue:
Too many times, I encounter the same/similar situations but forget how I solved them. I end up performing the same diagnostic steps I performed during my previous encounter with the problem(with feelings of Deja Vu). This time however, with the help of this anecdotal blog post, I hope to avoid a similar fate the next time uTorrent exhibits these perplexing symptoms. Ciao.

1 comment:

Bielousov said...

Thanks, this helped me. In my case it was a collection of all Top Gears and all franchises.

Just like in your case when I actually downloaded episodes I wanted from this collection it worked well. And then it was hanging around with no problems. But now that I decided to download another episode, that's when it went down to 9kb/s and ~2x more CPU load than usual.

For me it's not even deleting but just stopping that torrent and restarting uTorrent app fixed the issue.
Remarkably it looks like you were using Windows, while I was on Mac OS X, so this is likely a cross-platform issue.