Sunday, November 13, 2005

Charles Darwin in Chennai?

Annanagar Talk, a local news paper, reported that on Nov 14, the great-great-grand daughter of, none other than, Charles Dariwin himself was going to do a book reading session here in Chennai. And specifically, in Annanagar, my neighbourhood! She was also supposed to have an interactive session after the event.

In all my excitment, I forgot to glimpse at the title of the book she was to read out. Well, I did glimpse at it later and it was "Tigers in Red weather".

Ruth Padel, as it turns out, disappointingly to me, don't talk much about Evolution in her book or in her after-book-read-interactive-session. Rather, her book is supposed to be a travelogue of sorts delineating the various places tigers live and focuses on the "physical, scientific and political significance of the tiger" and is versed well for the 'spiritually kindled' and the 'poetic-eyed'. Old people, in other words.
Shame. I was hoping to get a glimpse of Charles Darwin's spirit in her eyes as she builds on her great ancestor's ideas. Maybe He still glints in her genes, but I defer the chance to meet her if she's going to ramble on her books only. I've got more significant tasks planned for the evening. Like going to a Food fest FoodPro2005 at the Chennai Trade Centre, for example. I always wanted to see a chocolate fountain.

But anyways, it great to hear that she will be around in my neighbourhood and she'll always be welcome.

No comments: