Monday, November 14, 2005

Dear Suse,

Image
A week ago, I went to ConneXions, Annanagar to buy some interesting book and other miscellany (including a cool mouse pad, whose review will follow). I noticed that Suse 10.0 OSS version dvd was bundled along with the November issue of Linux For You magazine. Since this was during my XP formatathon, I purchased it to try it out.
I installed it in some 8GB of unpartitioned space I had. I don't think there's any point in talking about the installation part, as linux installation, for the past couple years, had been simple enough to go through (except for some wierdo distros aimed at sooper-nerds). Maybe it could've been worse if I had tried to install linux on my raid-0 array. Infact, suse told me that I have a software raid contrary to what my BIOS informs her! Whatever. Since I didn't want to install in the raid partition, the install went uneventfully (if u don't count successfully installing linux as an event, that is). For those who want to have a look at the install though, here's a flash movie :)
One thing I noticed at boot up was that now there's a splash screen with progress indicator. Newbees rejoiced, as they would've found a bunch of growing dots less intimidating than the pages of scrolling dos text à la hollywood style or a progress barless screen that I was used to. Of course, this feature might've been introduced in earlier versions and I only noticed now. But I was annoyed that some things stayed the same. I mean, even after so many years since I last checked out linux, why should I still manually enter the monitor frequencies when I don't have to do so in any of the windows OS?

Yast2
Imagine having to know how to extract vcd frames from a vcd just to watch a movie. Many geeks reading this may be able to do so. But you are not the main market for the vcd industry. The average joe who just want things to work, are the ones, fortunately or unfortunately.
Following this analogy, I would say that linux is a right pain when you want to install anything in it. With utilities like Yast, this has almost been eradicated. Yast2 was good. The apropos style searching for programs and drivers is appreciable. Only thing that you have to do manually is to seek out installation sources: the path to software packages on the Internet or local disks. This step too could've been automated with something similar to GWebCache in gnutella so that we get only the recent list of servers hosting some essential packages, or atleast the packages that come with the DVD.
Another thing with Yast was that, by default the installation source had one entry named 'cdrom' something. But it didn't search my DVD drive at all, even though that's where I installed it from. Later, when I added "dvd:\" or something like that (after googling), I was able to search for some dependencies in the DVD drive. Also, it took minutes to refresh from all the Installation sources (3 sites and dvd). Maybe because of slow sites.
The first thing I did with yast was to download Nvidia driver for suse. I would've had a tad trouble finding drivers for my old ATi card (9700pro), but, thankfully, NVidia pays equal importance to linux version of its drivers. With or without the drivers, the way linux renders everything onscreen has been, somehow, delightfully different. I tell you what, you take the same webpage and view it in linux and in windows and compare the quality for yourself. My friend Balakrishnan used to say the same thing of linux when he tried to make me abandon windows forever. Not just the visuals, the sound is different too. And again, it's delightfully so, as the volume goes higher and sounds more amplified without any jarring artifacts. I couldn't believe it was the same computer that ran under windows the first time I ran linux and I've just rediscovered that feeling.

Multimedia keys and Mouse buttons
Other things that I've gotten quite used to in the windows world, but couldn't figure out in the linux "woerld" were my keyboard's multimedia keys and my mouse's forward & backward buttons [link]. There were tutorials to make the mouse buttons work by changing the mappings in Xwindow. I followed the example for a 6 button mouse, but it turned out that my mouse was 7 button. I haven't gotten round to try the new mapping yet.

The same's the story with my keyboard special keys too. Tried quite a few advises from various forums, but all of them had wireless multimedia keyboard and none of their advice worked on my wired one.

AmaroK
I love iTunes (you won't like it only if u haven't tried it). There's, of course, a Mac version too. But sadly, there's no iTunes for linux, yet. Just what Apple means by it, I don't know. I searched around and found that crossover office users can now enjoy itunes on linux. But I found a worthy temporary place-holder for iTunes, called Amarok. I could connect to my last.fm account using its intrinsic plugin. It uses recommended music based on my history of songs in the 'dynamic mode'. Kinda Ok feature, but tends to annoy you by repeating songs over and over. It's got an OK interface. With so many features spread over horizontal and vertical tabs, it could tend to be complex and non-intuitive. For example, I can't figure out how to “uncheck” a song to keep it from playing. And it's context menu could do with some more entries, like what iTunes has. But I loved the automatic lyric display (based on some OSS plugin which lets you submit lyrics), artist/album/title search (using some interface to wikipedia) and context functionality that displays the various context in which the current song appears. I would love to have some of these features in iTunes.
I couldn't find any codec installed by default that would play my mp3 or mov (quicktime) collection. So I had to install a windows codec collection called w32codec-all that really did contain almost all of the plugins necessary. My media collection is in a space-sparse 80GB harddrive in NTFS format. Amarok had a very good album art manager which, unfortunately, couldn't write to the NTFS media drive. The last time I checked, there was only support for over-writing files in NTFS. But maybe I would've found a fully supported ntfs write driver if I had searched for it in Yast.

FireFox
The onboard nvidia ethernet card was detected correctly. But I was looking all over to setup a ppoe conection. Finally found it under the ATM devices setup. A minor observation, and nothing more, in firefox is that, double-clicking the address bar in the Windows version selects the text till a delimiter. But in linux it selects the entire text. It was a bit annoying as I was used to do this to quicky select and change the last value in the url (like, http://forum.com/?forum=32) to quicly move among sub forums.


At the end of the day, Suse's Yast rules and the new versions of Gnome and KDE look promising. Though I am sure I haven't enjoyed anything that is exclusive to Suse 10 version, it will be the future patches, apps and derivative distros released by the OSS community that will make the impact of the OSS decision felt better. Already there is an OS effort called SUPER (Suse Performance Enhanced Release) to release a slimmer and nimbler Suse. I only checked out the gnome desktop. Many seem to favour the KDE environment, but I find gnome to be less cluttered and simple.
But I am still not using linux as main OS because I don't want to hassle with making visual studio, my games and other apps that I use to work in linux. It's the general laziness prevalent among windows users.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How has your experience been so far? I've been using XP Pro from about 4 years. I once installed Redhat 9 long time ago but uninstalled it soon as I didnt like it and I must say XP with SP2 rocks! And now I am giving Linux another try and downloading SUSE 10.0. The download will hopefully complete by tomorrow.

Anand kumar said...

My XP has been great with suse overall. But it depends on what you are expecting too. If your only gripe with linux was finding and installing programs, then you will love suse.

Anonymous said...

I just hate all that mounting stuff! It also had some hardware incompatibility with the Samsung PS2 Optical Mouse that I am using; the arrow motion was not as smooth as in Windows. I didnt like the kid-feel either, except the booting and shut-down screens. Ahhhh may be all because I am badly addicted to XP now after having used it for such a long time. Let's see how SUSE goes, but I wonder what would be there in these 5 CDs that I've downloaded! I am gonna install it next week when I get time.

Anand kumar said...

Yea, I don't understand the mounting business either. But I didn't have to mount any drives in suse. It just listed windows drives in /mnt/windows folder and the dvd drive in it's own folder.

About your mouse, the best source for drivers is forums. Some nerd has probably written a driver for that mouse, or atleast addressed the issue through some mapping file. But I guess it has something to with the popularity of the hardware in question. For example, i couldn't get the drivers for my mouse or my old Airtel Broadband DSL modem.

I am sure SUSE will be different from RH9 in many ways. If u haven't tried ubuntu or knoppix before, you will find suse pleasantly different.
Tell me how it goes, Anonymous.

Anonymous said...

I've installed SuSE 10 finally. It's ok as of now and I still have to learn a lot before I can really start loving it. There are a few basic things which lack. I, as of now dont even know how to install anything here. There are no exe files. So, I've to start from kindergarden. And Amarok also lacks mp3 support by default. Is it not possible to write anything on NTFS partition from SuSe?

Mouse is working perfectly fine. BTW why do you need drivers for DSL modem? What kind of modem is it? USB eh? I also use BSNL broadband and I dont need any drivers other than the LAN Card drivers, which are picked up automatically.

PS: Have you tested your blog on SuSe 10. I dont know where really the problem is but when I hover the mouse over it, it shows cluttered page. The browser I'm using is FF 1.0.7. Other websites show up properly though.

Anand kumar said...

Yes, there are no exe file in *nix OSes, but they have equivalent things like rpm, deb, etc. If u find an interesting program in some websites (freshrpms, sf.net, etc), look for a precompiled rpm to download. They are easier than downloading the source codes and compiling them. Or better yet, search for the program in yast.

You won't find MP3 support by default in any of the programs because of copyright issues. You can find it in yast and install it.
And no linux, as yet, has ntfs write support. They rather have a overwrite support, where you can overwrite an existing file in ntfs with a different file of the same size. I don't kow why though.

You guessed right, my modem was an usb modem. You don't need to install a driver for ethernet one.


Regarding the blog's code, thanks for pointing it out. I am still learning css. I thought my blog code quirked only in IE as it renders ok on FF 1.5