Friday, June 09, 2006

Are these for ever?

It's tough to come up with a interesting-yet-goofy-sounding name when you are going to talk about bling blings. Ask my mom on how I dislike being encumbered with even the tiniest loop of gold or silver. Though I've favoured wearing a couple "interesting" looking stuff like that copper snake ring and that cool LED-flashing ring sold at an exhibition when I was considerably younger, I just am not comfortable wearing something to make a "status statement". I am not quite sure jewels look at home on a man.

The feeling's entirely personal of course. I do appreciate a beautiful and elegant piece enhancing an elegant maid's beauty subtly. So when I was searching for a topic for my brief spell of recreational modeling, I chose diamonds.


Now I have done a few jewellery designs in the past too. But they were pretty botched up things and not quite satifactorily done. Here are a few of them:

Chained heart This one I call "Chained Heart" and was the artifact of my foray into 3D goldsmithing. It was quite interesting to make since it was my first experience with creating a chain with the Spacing tool and rendering highly reflective scene.



Crowned I call this, quite obviously, "Crowned". The model is a Poser 6.0 character imported into 3D studio max to bear the horrible gold and ruby (?) crown. This scene wasn't about the crown. I posed the king(!) in a menacing pose pointing a finger (relax, it's the index) at someone. Unfortunately, I am not very good at clothing and hairdressing in Poser 6, so the scene is a bit, er, bare and I left it, er, hanging, at least for now.


Spiral Ringlet prototype Spiral ringlet prototype. This one gave me quite a bit of headache, probably because I suck at geometry and elctronics. It has 3 sine waves inter-twined in such a way that when given a gradient thickness and bent 180 degrees along the y-axis, the ensemble shouldn't intersect anywhere. Needless to say, mine intersects.




About a week ago, I found reference pictures of a diamond cut called "Simple brilliance" cut. It looked simple enough to model and it was. Finding the right maerial for the diamond model was easy enough as well since there are a lot of tutorials on material making. So, at last, I had me a diamantine in my virtual hands.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


With the stone ready, I could finally make me some simple rings. I did a quick google for simple diamond rings to loosely base my deigns on. I haven't started any complex ring designs yet. So, here are the simple ones:
Simple diamond ring:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Aqua toe ring:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Coppermine diamond ring:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Goldmine diamond ring (Yeah, I suck at naming things). Note the "To my beloved" engraving too:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Goldmine in a box:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Goldmine in a box, closeup:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


More later.


[Later..]
Here's two more for now. Both designs were (unwilling) courtesy of boldingold.com

Golden Helix:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Tension set ring:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


No comments: