Monday, June 19, 2006

Spine Yoga?

I often have dreams that I can remember vividly for a week or two. I started a personal "dream blog" to journal my night time woolgatherings, but I had long since put that idea under wraps. I journaled one of my dreams but mozilla was kind enough to crash before sending the data to blogger and I wasn't going to write everything from scratch. But it was too hard to keep the post reader-friendly too because I had to introduce many familiar and unfamiliar persons to the reader, explain the flow of the dream's (il-)logical flow, explain the dozens of scenarios/scenes, explain the significance and familiarity of a particular person/object/situation or other non-tangible concept in my past and just plain forgetting some link in the dreams's flow. So, I'll try to be very specific, and very generic, where need be.

I remember all of the dream now having reviewed it a couple of times in my head. But the wierd part was when I was in my friend's house (Hey Anand Shankar!) and I saw his family friends and relatives chilling out and doing various stuff. One group of older male relatives were watching something on TV. It looked like a fully interactive and personal yoga training video. I watched the introduction by two long-braided, saffron wearing yoga teachers explaining yoga and it's benefits. Though looking like saints, they talked like the usual suspects at any telemarketing show.

I don't quite remember the speech but their was leading to something called "Spine Yoga". I think they were on about how it's a new form of yoga and how it can cure back problems. The audience became interested now as if anticipating. Then the guys on tv asked the listeners to place the "sensor" on their head. One of the men sitting before the tv (who, incidently, had a half-shaven head, much like a 'brahman') placed a small, black and squat-cylindrical sized device with a wire training behind it and to the tv, on his head in a particular spot. The sensor thing didn't fall off which could be because of adhesive or suction with the man's shaven head (guess my brain just didn't think up of any reason). Anyway, the man on tv seemed to know that the sensor had been placed correctly on someone's head for he proceeded to show how to sit down properly for the yoga.

This is where I was pretty intrigued. The man on tv, in live video, asked the 'user' to do various things like straighten his neck a bit more, straighten his back slightly, etc. I was pretty amazed how one sensor (presumably a gyroscope) was able to detect spinal curvature in addition to the neck's attitude. That's when I noticed that a video camera was also feeding the tv (I am pretty sure the camera wasn't there the first time I saw the tv. My brain must've made it up when I questioned the sensor's ability). I watched a few minutes of the video while they explained the need for the slight curvature of the spine (?). Then, as appropriate to a dream, the video was concluding with the marketers saying encouraging words about Spine Yoga.

My dream didn't end there of course (I remember that I was looking at my friend's new computer, later talking to him as he arrived in his home, leaving the house and stuff). But the Video camera + Gyroscopic sensor utilizing technology I experienced stayed fresh in my mind even after I've woken up. I was pretty sure I couldn't've made the term "Spine Yoga" up that, as soon as I got up, I switched on the monitor and googled for the term! But Spine yoga doesn't seem to be a defined word, as far as i can search at least. As for the interactive video technology, it's probably my brain's extension of the Eye-toy technology, only instead of a sword or a gun shaped sensor, there was a head-mounted sensor. And then there's the video with real live characters instead of a game engine generated ones. Probably many pre-recorded clips for every scenarios possible.

Whatever. That's that.

I don't know if I talk or laugh in my sleep, but sometimes I wake up with the wierd feeling that I did. I remember another dream, (don't worry, I'll keep this one short) where I was listenening to a lecture of sorts (I mean, it was out in the fields. Under a tree. With two or three students? Next to a railway station? go figure!). The lecturing guy was just about finished and he turned to leave with a lingering statement. All was quiet and peaceful and soft. This was where I mulled over the statement and spoke up. I remembered every word I said a few days ago, but now the words escape my mind. But I remember, as I finished my talk, everyone's head in the field(?) turned towards me and looked at me with slight puzzlement in their eyes. I then slowly sank down and woke up brightly.
Again, I had the strange feeling that I had actally vocalised what I said in my dream. I wish I could've written this when I remembered what it was that I said. So, I've decided that when I buy a video camera or a web-camea, I'll record my slumbering self, just to establish whether or not. It won't accomplish much. Or anything, for that matter, except to tell me if I am a somnavocalist (or is that somnaoralist? somnarhetorican? I don't think there's a word for it, but you get the idea), but it just might be the weirdest clip of the day if it ever leaks into the net.

No comments: