Tuesday, September 14, 2004

The Geek sees light, almost.

Sriram was clever enough to get a temporary cathode-based-visual-computer-interface thing, in non-geek terms: a monitor, from the repair guys while they operate on his dead cathode-based-visual-computer-interface thing.

So, the story ends there. The geek will never be back to his human form. Ever.
Even today I saw him lying on his desk while the classes were going on.

"There goes the geek again".

But the real reason for his tiredness was ranted onto us by the geek himself later when he woke up at the lunch break.

The placebo monitor turned out to be, "a thing that flickers badly", to quote him. The few hours that he had spent trying to sync his eyes with the slow refresh rates was not so helpful to his eyes and added to that the cravings of your everyday geek to go through the latest messages from his geek-community. Very bad for the eyes.

Actually, I shouldn't be talking about burning ones eyes with a monitor. I run my monitor at 1280x1024, the highest my monitor would go, at 60Hz. I do see a bit of flicker sometimes, but they are very imperceptible to me. I am thankful for that, because I have heard of people seeing a flicker at 120Hz and above. Weird.

As for sriram, I wish his monitor will be ready on time. Otherwise, we will not have a sleeping beauty of a geek in our college, but a sleeping beauty of a geek with fast flickering eyes.

3 comments:

Sriram said...

I want my monitor too :-(

Sriram said...

I'm getting my monitor back tomm. Yay!!!

Btw, how come no blog posts?

Anand kumar said...

Awesome. Welcome back geek ;)
As for the posts, I am working on several and they are still in the edit stage.
I am too slow 8-(