Friday, August 05, 2005

How would you like your probablities? Relative or absolute?

After my previous post on quantum theory idea, I went through a lot of emotions: 'uncertain', 'kinda stupid', 'I-shouldn't-have-posted-this', sleepy, and then 'hmmm-there-could-be-something-in-this..' and then 'whatever'.
But I didn't know if whether I am correct or not. So take this with a grain of salt (and pepper too, really, it's ur call).

It's a very simple and small thing, which is why ofcourse I am building up towards it with all these fluff. Ok, imagine someone throwing a ball straight up. Let's say that this someone is doing the said innocuous activity in the USA, so that it is easy to imagine when I say that he is being spyed upon by a camera mounted on a street-side pole. This camera observes the ball travelling at 10km/hr.
Let's say an Alien spaceship that was passing near the earth had suddenly stopped because their fuel had run out (poor them) and they were watching the earth with Acme Super Magnifier at this now almost-popular someone in the USA, at this exact same moment.
The aliens will notice that the ball was thrown at almost 107,005 km/hr, much to their surprise, by a puny mud-man.

Ofcourse, their surprise wouldn't have lasted a few milliseconds because they would've worked out the revolution speed of earth on which the mud-man was enjoying a ride himself (which is, ofcourse, 107K km/hr).

Now the moral of the story is that we have to add the speed of the "platform" or frame of reference to get the absolute speed. But getting the absolute speed here was possible only because I take it that that's the absolute speed of the earth. I don't know if considering the possiblity of bubble universe theories, which would've meant that the universe itself might be translating in it's mother universe, would've changed the speed of every object.
(Of the Bubble universe theories that I know of, one says that universes are made in clusters, much like bubbles in a foam. Another theory says that bubbles of universes form inside a much bigger universe to explain the uniformity of the present universe ("uniformity of matter in the present universe" is in itself a much bigger and interesting concept). Sounds like some pot-smoking-60's-hippy created theory? Tell me 'bout it.

Now, if u have read my this post over here, which I somehow doubt that any soul other than me did, you could've gotten a fleeting glimpse of what I am arriving at. Basically, I thought that if parallel universes suggested by quantum theory is how I imagine it to be, then you can imagine the universe you (THIS you) exist is one of the (temporal)leaves of an immense tree that branches out whenever a chance exist in that universe.

Now to tie "relativity" and quantum physics together. Imagine our world is shrunken down to sub-atomic level and that u are banging your head on the walls of your sub-atomic house. Now according to quantum tunnelling, even though you don't have enough energy to smash the walls with your head and enter your house, there is a finite probablity that you will eventually do go through the wall without breaking the wall and head (Kinda like "no clip" cheat code in games. Get it? I don't either). This happens only when your energy level and the wall's has a small difference. But the probablity is very small. Let's imagine, for our sake, that the probablity is 0.1, so as to avoid writing too many zeroes. This is what I am calling "relative probablity", if there can be such a thing.
Relative to what? The big tree of probablity that I was talking about, ofcourse. So what is the probablity that we are looking for in this tree? It is the probablity of THIS universe being possible. Add to this probablity the 0.1 that we assumed, and you will get what I call "absolute probablity" (again, if there can be such a thing) for you to quantum-tunnel yourself into your house in our little thought experiment without smashing anything.

Rest assured, that even if what I supposed was correct, this probablity should be so small that it can be ignored completely and still things will work the same as they have did. After all, when u are on earth, there is little difference if the earth is moving at 30km/sec or at 30.1km/sec (except for projectile calculations, ofcourse).

[Edit: Oops, I've rushed it. The way to calculate the current unverse's probablity of existence should be using "Particular probablity", not direct addition.]


Referred this wonderful lecture for earth rotation and its effects. Read the other lectures in that site too.
I also recommend u read this simple explaination of quantum tunnelling. Read the wiki on this too.
For bubble universes, I could point you to this explaination on the web, but I suggest reading a good simple book on the subject. I am reading Time Travel in Einstein's Universe and Stephen hawking's books on universe and stuff.

No comments: